Sunday, September 6, 2009

No Separation from God's Love!

Reflection Jewel:

For I am certain that nothing can separate us from his love: neither death nor life, neither angels nor other heavenly rulers or powers, neither the present nor the future, neither the world above nor the world below --- there is nothing in all creation that will ever be able to separate us from the love of God which is ours through Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38-39 TEV)
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Deep Waters

I wasn't much more than a half pint kid, certainly I wasn't a teen yet. To the best of my recollection, it seems to me that there were three of us, my father, his friend and me. We were out fishing from a boat. That was a rare treat because mostly we fished from the shore.

I don't remember the location, other than someplace in British Columbia, Canada. We were likely fishing for trout but I don't remember if we caught anything or not.

What I do remember is that the lake was deep. The water was clear and it dropped off sharply right from the shoreline. As I recall, someone said it was over 400 feet deep. It was either an old flooded mine or a crater lake formed from a dormant volcano.

The idea of water of that depth was both terrifying and fascinating. I couldn't comprehend lakes that deep (here in Alberta 30 feet is deep water).

The lake came to mind the other morning as I was reading Scripture.

The Psalmist cries out - Psalm 139:7-12 (NIV)

Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me," even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.

God's love is available no matter where we may hide. Four hundred feet was an incomprehensible to me as a child yet God's love could have found me there. As an adult I know that even the deepest of oceans or the furthest reaches of space are not to far for God.

God's love is larger, more powerful and farther reaching than anything we can imagine. The only way to avoid it is to choose to stay away from it, to reject it.

As a believer when I face time's of struggle I take great comfort in what the Word teaches about the depths of God's love.

Romans 8:37-39 NIV
No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

When we belong to Him, nothing can pull us away from His love.

John 10:27-30 NIV
My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father's hand. I and the Father are one."

In the hour of our greatest need when every help seems gone, when hope seems nothing more than an empty promise and we wonder if anyone is hearing our prayers we can take heart.

No matter where we wander, no matter what we have done, if we will simply cry out to Him, He is there. In the darkness of the depths we may not understand His plans but we can take comfort in His love. Grab hold of Him with all you have and know that He will never let you go.

Used with permission: Kevin Cobin (c) 2001-2009 Gleanings From The Word Ministries International